Topics Map > LMS > D2L
D2L - Composing, Saving, Editing, and Deleting Discussion Messages (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
You can post discussion messages right away or you can save a draft to post later.
Note: Click here for information about discussion messages on the mobile application.
Create and Post a Discussion Message
- Start by clicking on the Communication drop-down menu in the navigation bar, and then Discussion.
- Click on the name of the topic where you want to post a message.
- At the top of the discussion area, click .
- In the space provided, enter a subject in the Subject field.
- Type your message in the Message field.
- If you wish you can attach items to your message:
- You can insert or embed video and image files from youtube and flickr using the "insert stuff" button
- Attach a file: click on Add Attachments and then either click on the Upload button or drag and drop your file in the add attachment window. You can attach as many files as you want.
- Attach an audio recording: In the Add Attachment window, click the button to instantly record audio to attach to your message. Ensure your microphone is set up correctly and click Record, then click Pause when you're finished recording. Click the Add button at the bottom of the recording window to attach the audio.
Save A Discussion Message as a Draft
You can save your message as a draft instead of posting it right away. Saving a draft lets you return to the message later to edit it before posting it to the topic.
To save a draft, click the button instead of the button when writing a message.
Save drafts will appear as a notification about the selected topic.
Editing a Discussion post
Students and instructors can edit a discussion post by selecting Edit Post near the post title. The icon signifies if a post has been edited and has the date it was last modified. Instructors can view a log of post edits by selecting History from the More ASdropdown menu near the post title.
Posting Options – Add Topics
Instructors can compose one message and post it in multiple topics at once. This process is particularly useful for an instructor using multiple groups of students in a discussion when one message needs to be seen by all of the participants in all of the groups. Instead of going into each topic and pasting a new message, you can simply add topics to which the message will be posted.
Click on Show the posting options.
Click the Add Topics button. In the new window, check the boxes of all the topics in which you'd like this post to be placed. Click the insert button.
To remove a topic from the list of topics to which this message will be posted, simply deselect that topic by clicking the checked box.
Click the post button to post your message to all selected topics.
Delete a Discussion Message
(UW-Madison Only, other campuses please contact your local campus helpdesk)
Only course instructors can delete discussion threads. To delete a discussion thread, the instructor can click on the More Actions dropdown menu next to the thread's title and select Delete. You can also select the check box in the list view of threads and select the Delete button above the list.