Topics Map > Getting Started/Overview Documents
Topics Map > Learning Analytics & Assessment > Honorlock
Honorlock - Overview (UW-Madison)
This document provides an overview of how to get started using Honorlock in Canvas.
Select this link to list all Honorlock documents from the Learn@UW-Madison Knowledgebase at the bottom of this page.
Honorlock is an automated proctoring solution that helps instructors foster academic integrity when providing remote assessments to students. Honorlock is designed for assessments built in the Canvas learning management system (LMS), particularly in Canvas Quizzes. It also works with 3rd party tools, such as Atomic Assessments and publisher Digital Learning Tools. Honorlock is available to all UW-Madison faculty, instructors and students in credit-based courses starting in July 2020.
Honorlock uses a webcam and microphone connected to the student’s computer along with a browser extension in Google Chrome that can track student activity during the exam and lock down the student’s browser. Honorlock flags certain behaviors that may be acts of academic misconduct, which the instructor can review after the student completes the exam. When setting up the exam for proctoring using Honorlock, instructors can enable settings such as the lockdown browser, allowing a calculator, requiring a 360-degree room scan, or whitelisting URLs that are acceptable for use during the exam.
Getting Started - Students
Honorlock is used to proctor exams in your course. For instructions on how to use Honorlock, please see Honorlock’s knowledge base documentation. In particular, these documents and videos will be useful to review prior to your exam.
- Standard Exam Guidelines
- Student FAQ
- Minimum System Requirements
- Launching an Exam with Honorlock
- How to use Honorlock
- How to complete a Room Scan
- Troubleshooting Resources
- End of Exam Procedures
Student Privacy and Data Use FAQsFor frequently asked questions about privacy and data use in Honorlock, see the Proctoring FAQ on the Student Learning Assessment website, or Student Privacy FAQ on Honorlock's website.
Getting Started - Instructors
- Proctoring FAQ
- Honorlock - Enabling Honorlock in Canvas (Instructor)
- Honorlock student tech module (add to course for student use)
- Honorlock - Access Codes and Instructor Tips
For extensive product documentation, including tutorials, please see Honorlock’s knowledge base. In particular, these documents and videos will be useful for you to review:
- Sample Syllabus Language
- Using Honorlock with Canvas (video)
- Using Honorlock with Canvas (document)
- Creating a Third Party Exam
- Exam Configuration Options
- Reviewing Your Honorlock Results
It is best practice to create practice exams so that your students can be comfortable with using Honorlock prior to their exam. Please follow these instructions from Honorlock to create a practice exam. As you create your practice exam, please make sure that the exam is set up with the same settings as your real exam.
- The Honorlock interfaces for administrators, instructors, and end-users are fully ADA accessible and compliant with the Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Honorlock has an accessibility statement including student and instructor Accessibility Guides.
- UW-Madison has many of its own accessibility resources as it relates to Honorlock, including accessibility & useability with the instructor experience, the student experience, and steps for instructors on how to implement disability-related accommodations when enabling Honorlock proctored assessments.
For information regarding Honorlock accessibility and usability, to report an accessibility barrier, request accessibility assistance, or learn about disability-related accommodations see the following guides: