Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > Senate Minutes
Faculty Senate Minutes 2011-04-04
University of Wisconsin--Madison
shared governance document
April 4, 2011
The meeting was called to order by Chancellor Biddy Martin at 3:32 p.m. with 158 voting members present.
1. Memorial resolutions were presented for:
Professor Emeritus M. Vere DeVault. faculty document 2253Professor Emeritus Henry A. Lardy. faculty document 2255Professor Emeritus Benjamin Bruce Marsh. faculty document 2256Professor Emeritus Donald Neal McIsaac Jr. faculty document 2257Professor Emerita Agatha A. Norton. faculty document 2258Professor Emeritus Sheldon David Rose. faculty document 2259Professor Emeritus Jesse C. Saemann Jr. faculty document 2260
2. Chancellor Martin presided over the presentation of the 2010-2011 Hilldale Awards.
The recipients are: Arts and Humanities Division: Claudia F. Card (Philosophy); Biological Sciences Division: Bruce S. Klein (Pediatrics); Physical Sciences Division: Max G. Lagally (Materials Science and Engineering); Social Studies Division: Marsha Malick Seltzer (Social Work).
3. Announcements/Informational Items.
Professor Judith Burstyn spoke about activities the University Committee is undertaking concerning the efficiency initiative with Huron Consulting Group, and the impacts of the state budget bill on UW-Madison and its proposal for public authority status of UW-Madison independent from UW System.Professor Burstyn reminded senators that the secure web-based elections for elected faculty committees would remain open through Friday, 8 April and urged senators to encourage their departmental faculty to vote.
4. Question Period.
Chancellor Martin called attention to a handout distributed at the door, which included a question from Associate Professor Mark Albertini (District 89) regarding the handling of fringe benefits from federal grants.Vice Chancellor for Administration Darrell Bazzell responded to a follow-up question on the matterfrom Professor Janet Mertz (District 93).
AUTOMATIC CONSENT BUSINESS
5. The minutes of 7 March 2011 were approved as distributed.
6. Vice Provost Damon Williams submitted for informational purposes the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee Annual Report for 2009-2010. faculty document 2261
There were no questions or comments.
7. Professor Carl Sovinec submitted for informational purposes the Officer Education Committee Annual Report for 2010-2011. faculty document 2262
There were no questions or comments.
8. Professor Julie Mitchell moved to adopt the Department of Mathematics’ Resolution on Problems Caused by Recent U.S. Immigration Practices. faculty document 2252a
The motion was seconded.There was one question and one comment.The motion passed without negative vote.
9. Professor Burstyn moved to adopt the Resolution in Support of Academic Freedom presented 2264
in faculty document 2264, which was distributed at the door.
There was significant discussion of the resolution.Professor Patricia Loew (District 3) moved to amend the resolution by striking from the thirdto the last paragraph the phrase “to reconsider the institution’s position for responding to openrecords requests;”.The motion to amend was seconded.The motion to amend passed.The amended resolution passed without negative vote.
10. Chancellor Martin announced that pursuant to Faculty Policies and Procedures 2.08.B., the
discussion of fiscal models for the proposed public authority, and institutional governance and
the proposed board of trustees, would be discussed in a Committee of the Whole. The chancellor
recognized Professor Burstyn, who moved to convene in a Committee of the Whole and that the
discussion end no later than 5:30 p.m.
The motion was seconded and passed without negative vote.At 5:34 p.m., the committee rose and reported.
The meeting adjourned at 5:34 p.m.
Secretary of the Faculty
« Previous: Faculty Senate Minutes 2011-03-07