Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > Senate Minutes
Faculty Senate Minutes 2010-12-06
University of Wisconsin--Madison
December 6, 2010
shared governance document
The meeting was called to order by Provost Paul DeLuca at 3:34 p.m. with 158 voting members present.
1. Memorial resolutions were presented for:
Professor Emeritus Elwood A. Brickbauer. faculty document 2226Professor Emeritus Robert H. Burris. faculty document 2227Professor Emeritus Dale W. Smith. faculty document 2228Assistant Professor Emeritus C. Ernest Zehner. faculty document 2229
2. Announcements/Informational Items.
Provost DeLuca spoke briefly about the state budget situation for the next biennium and the likelihood of funding cuts. The Law School Dean Search and Screen Committee was recently charged, and the CALS Dean Search and Screen Committee would likely receive its charge in January. The efficiency consultant evaluation process is still in progress.
3. Question Period.
Provost DeLuca called attention to a handout distributed at the door containing questions from Associate Professor Theresa Duello regarding the reporting of grievances. Professor Judith Burstyn and Provost DeLuca responded to additional questions that Professor Duello asked in person.
AUTOMATIC CONSENT BUSINESS
4. The minutes of 1 November 2010 were approved as distributed.
5. Professor Joseph Salmons submitted for informational purposes the PROFS, Inc. Annual Report for 2009-2010. faculty document 2230.
There were no questions or comments.
6. Professor James Malter submitted for informational purposes the Recreational Sports Board Annual Report for 2009-2010. faculty document 2231.
There were several questions.
7. Professor Burstyn moved to adopt the University Committee Recommendation to Amend Faculty Policies and Procedures to Create the WARF Resource Request and Allocations Committee. faculty document 2224a.
The motion passed by hand vote.
8. Professor Burstyn presented for continued discussion the University Committee Recommendation to Amend Faculty Policies and Procedures to Create the Research, Safety and Compliance Oversight Committee. faculty document 2225.
Provost DeLuca asked the senate to grant permission for Mr. Kyle VandenLangenberg and Mr. Erik Paulson from ASM to speak briefly about a request from ASM to include a graduate student as a member of the proposed committee. There were no objections.There were two questions.
9. A motion was made and seconded to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(c) and
(f) to consider the recommendations of the Committee on Honorary Degrees. The motion passed
without negative vote.
Professor David McDonald, chair of the Committee on Honorary Degrees, presented backgroundinformation on the nominees for honorary degrees.There were a number of questions and comments.The senators voted by paper ballot whether to award the honorary degrees.
The meeting adjourned at 4:34 p.m.
Secretary of the Faculty