Steps to Take Before Leaving - IT Checklist
This checklist will help users offboard from the Department of Surgery successfully, whether the user is transferring departments, leaving the UW, or retiring. For additional information on the offboarding process for all departing, Faculty, Staff, Student, HR, Managers, and IT employees please visit: https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/78565
☐ Classify your data as personal data or university data
- Personal data: You keep this data and will need to backup files before losing access to your account.
- University data: You will need to transfer ownership of this data to designated faculty/staff or to another University account.
☐ Remove and backup all data from your personal U: drive and DOS computer
- Backup personal data stored on your U:drive and/or computer to your personally owned cloud storage or external hard drive.
Click here to learn how to backup your personal data for:
- Office 365 – Outlook Email
- Office 365 – OneDrive files
- G Suite
Note: Your Surgery account will be deactivated at on your last day. Please backup all data in your U: drive or computer before your last day.
☐ Backup and transfer university data ownership to appropriate team members
- If you are the owner of a shared Outlook calendar, Teams group channel, Box folder, SharePoint or OneDrive files, please make sure to assign someone else as the owner to prevent data loss. IT Surgery will NOT be able to re-assign ownership for you.
- Zoom/Webex: Make sure you transfer ownership of any scheduled meetings and download any recorded meetings if needed.
- If you have folders or files in your U: drive that you would like to transfer over to another Surgery user, please contact us to have that initiated.
Click here to learn how to transfer ownership of university data.
☐ Return DOS technology equipment and accessories to IT
- Please schedule a drop off time with Surgery IT by emailing email@example.com
- If you are not able to bring back your technology (ex: working out-of-state) please contact IT Helpdesk ASAP to schedule a return plan accordingly.
Note: All technology equipment belongs to the Department of Surgery. We do not offer a “buy back” program for used DOS equipment. You will be charged for any missing equipment.
☐ Request Surgery Email to be Forwarded to another user
- If you are the primary contact in your team, it is important that you have another user set to receive your Surgery emails. This will ensure that important communications like vendor information, continue after your departure. Please contact us to forward your Surgery alias to another Surgery user within your team.
☐ Set an auto-response with a contact email address (optional)
- If you would like to inform other users of your departure, you can set an auto-response listing your last day as well as a primary contact email for others to reach you.
☐ Set Forwarding Number and share voicemail pin
Your phone number will be active for the next person to use. We recommended having your phone number forwarded to another teammate on your last day to avoid missing critical communications. Click here to learn how to forward your work phone number. Please remember to share your voicemail pin in order for other teammates to listen to missed voicemails.
Retirees and Emeriti Faculty
As a retiree University must apply for continuing IT services to continue access to certain campus IT services. If not, you will lose access to all T services. Contact DoIT to initiate the process at 608-264-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org Learn more: https://kb.wisc.edu/80907
UW Health Affiliates
If you work with UW Health, please contact the UW Health IT at 265-7777 to find out what the offboarding steps are for UW Health users.
Additional Information and Resources
When will I lose access?
View the service-based deactivation timeline to see when your access will change. https://kb.wisc.edu/79844