Topics Map > Student Hourly Hire > Determine Start Date
Student Hourly - Determine When Your Student Can Start Work
Student employees are not approved to begin working until ASU OHR sends you an email notification that the student is cleared to start work. ASU will not clear a student employee to begin work until they have attended New Employee Orientation and satisfied their I-9 requirements. ASU will also update the applicant's status to "HR Processing Complete" once the student has been cleared to start work.
- The student will need to accept the job offer, complete the required paperwork and onboarding requirements including I-9, and be cleared to work by ASU BEFORE they can begin employment and work their first shift.
- If your student hire requires a Criminal Background Check (CBC) this may delay the start date.
- Once the Administrative Services Unit (ASU) Office of Human Resources (OHR), receives the offer card for approval, ASU will contact the student employee with their job offer and next steps. Please allow up to two and a half weeks for HR system processing before the student can start work.
- Start dates are assigned by ASU and will coincide with when New Employee Orientations slots are offered, which are held every other week after the start of a pay period on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- ASU HR will send you an email notification and will update the applicant's status to "HR Processing Complete" once the student has been cleared to start work.