Student Hourly - Start Here to Hire a Student Hourly Employee
NOTE CHANGES TO STUDENT HIRING PROCESS
There are recent changes to the the student hourly hiring process. New recruitment’s for all Student Help positions are still suspended until further notice, unless approved by your school/college/division Dean or Vice Chancellor.
For the most up to date information make sure to:
If you need to hire a student hourly employee follow these instructions. They provide step-by-step guidance for hiring through the Student Jobs Platform. All hourly student employees must be hired using this platform. The hiring platform itself is robust in its functionality, but not all of it needs to be utilized for every hire. These articles call out pieces that ASU divisions will use as well as ASU-specific requirements.
- All student hourly positions must be hired through the Student Jobs Portal.
- The Student Jobs Portal is a hiring workflow that is managed and maintained by the Student Employment Office at UW-Madison.
- Administrative Services Unit (ASU) in the Office of Human Resources (OHR) will only accept requests to hire students that are submitted through the Student Jobs Portal.
BEFORE You Begin:
- Contact your supervisor. Make sure to work with them to verify which funding will be used to pay for the student.
- Contact your financial manager for the correct funding string(s). When you are ready to make a hire, you will insert the funding codes into the position details section of the offer card.
- Follow steps 1-6 in order.
- The steps in this process are ASU-specific and supplement the materials owned and maintained by the Student Employment Office. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the overall process using the Student Jobs Platform Tutorials.
- If you need to hire a Graduate Assistant, please refer to the steps found on Graduate Assistant - Start Here to Hire a Graduate Assistant.
|1||Create a student job requisition in the Student Jobs Platform.|
|2||Request a Criminal Background Check|
|3||Create offer to hire student.|
|4||Close and manage the student job posting.|
|5||Determine when your student can start work.|