Activity: Visualizing Manure Storage and Manure Spreading Equipment
The goal of this activity is to make sure that everyone has an idea of the variety of manure collection, storage and spreading system/equipment and to discuss the main sources of emission associated with different systems
- Open a browser on your laptop and google the following search in five separate windows:
- IMAGE STANCHION BARN
- IMAGE FREESTALL BARN
- MANURE COLLECTION AND HANDLING SYSTEM IMAGE
- MANURE STORAGE IMAGE
- MANURE BROADCASTING IMAGE
- Open the Chadwick et al. paper in another Window and go to Figure 2
- Open Owen and Silver's paper in another (seventh) window and go to Figure 1.
- Identify sets of coherent images from your google search that illustrate the "manure continuum" starting with housing system, followed by manure collection, storage, treatment (if applicable) and spreading equipment. See example below for a simple "good all days" daily haul system.
- Draw your own manure system as slide #2 of this Power Point
- Discuss the main sources of emissions from the various components of the manure systems based on the information presented in the reading of Chadwick et al. and the reading of Owen and Silver.
Illustration of a "Daily Haul Manure Management System