Topics Map > Admissions
Topics Map > Enrollment

Student Add/Change/Discontinue of Graduate School Programs

All Graduate School students must utilize the Graduate Student Portal in MyUW to add, change, or discontinue any major/named option, doctoral minor, or graduate/professional certificate. This document expands on that process and its implications across campus.

The Graduate School has enhanced the Graduate Student Portal (accessible through MyUW) to enable students to add, change, or discontinue doctoral minors and graduate/professional certificates, in addition to majors/named options.  By requiring students to declare the intention to pursue a credential in the portal, the Graduate School will be able to report to campus accurate enrollment records of all programs.  Graduate program coordinators are responsible for the communication to and training of their students in using the portal to add, change, or discontinue programs.  Please see here for a training document for students and coordinators.


When will students be required to start declaring their doctoral minors and graduate/professional certificates?

All students will be able to add/change/discontinue these programs beginning in the fall 2022 term.  Because current students are at different points in their graduate careers, we understand it may be simpler to add these on the warrant per the previous process.  But beginning in fall 2023, all newly matriculated students will be required to use the portal to add/change/discontinue all programs.

Can Professional students also use the Graduate Student Portal to add the graduate/professional certificate?

No.  The Graduate Student Portal is only accessible to Graduate students.  For more on how to declare and indicate completion for graduate/professional certificates, visit

Do students need to declare the distributed minor?  What do students do in programs that have been waived from the breadth requirement?

Yes, students do need to add the distributed minor.  Approval of this minor will go straight to the Graduate School to be added to the student's record in the student information system (SIS).  Students in programs that are not required to complete a doctoral minor or graduate/professional certificate do not need to do anything.

How do coordinators know if their students are adding programs?

They will receive an automated email once the program has been added to the student's record in SIS.

How do coordinators know if they have a request to review?

They will receive an automated email letting them know a student has made a request related to the program they coordinate.

How do I know all of my students in my program?  And can I see collectively which doctoral minors and graduate/professional certificates my program's students have enrolled in?

Please visit RADAR to access Institutional Data Exporters (IDEs) to download that information.  Search for "Doctoral Minors and Grad or Prof Certs IDE ".

Will the student's doctoral minor or graduate/professional certificate be included in the Graduate Student Tracking System (GSTS) report?

These programs will appear in the GSTS report only as a program they have declared.  The course requirements are not configured and will not be tracked.

How does this process affect the warrant process or the approval process that a student completed all of the requirements?

This process only affects declaration.  In other words, the warrant process, and all that has been done historically with approving requirements, is not changing at this time.  

Keywordsadd, change, discontinue, discontinuation, declare, declaration, doctoral minor, graduate/professional certificate, major, program   Doc ID120525
OwnerJenna A.GroupGraduate School
Created2022-08-11 11:57:01Updated2024-01-24 15:31:14
SitesGraduate School
Feedback  0   0