Topics Map > Campus Services > Office 365
Office 365 - Reduced access to services due to an affiliation change
If your affiliation with UW-Madison changes (i.e., student graduates and becomes alumni), you will begin to receive a series of “reduced access” email notifications that will let you know that your access to Office 365 services will be reduced.
Please note, this document is not intended to do the following:
- Recommend an affiliation type a user needs to gain access to a service they would not be eligible for.
- Determine why a user is losing access to certain services.
- Advise HR departments or the Registrar's office on how to change a user’s affiliation type.
This document does not apply to individuals who leave and have no affiliation with the university (i.e., faculty/staff no longer employed by UW-Madison). These individuals will receive deactivation notifications.
The reduced access email notifications will include the following information:
- awareness of upcoming access change to Office 365 services
- current affiliation group
- new affiliation group
- date when the change will go into effect
The following are some examples of scenarios when affiliation changes will trigger the series of reduced access email notifications:
- enrolled student graduates and is now alumni
- faculty retires and receives continued access to campus IT services
- faculty receives emeritus status
- faculty no longer employed by UW-Madison but is a UW-Madison alumni
Example of reduced access email notification
In general, UW-Madison paid employees and currently enrolled students fall into groups A and B. Individuals who are not paid or enrolled are more likely to be in groups C, D, or E. There are exceptions.
|Microsoft 365 Plans||A||B||C||D||E|
|Office 365 services|
|Azure Active Directory Premium (Plan 1)||X||X|
|Azure Information Protection Premium (Plan 1)||X|
|Azure Rights Management||X||X||X|
|Cloud App Security||X||X|
|Cloud App Security Discovery||X||X|
|Exchange Online *||X||X||X|
|Exchange Online (Plan 2) *||X||X|
|Information Protection for O365 Standard||X||X|
|Insights by MyAnalytics||X|
|Minecraft Education Edition||X||X|
|Office Pro Plus||X||X||X|
|Office Web Apps||X||X||X|
|OneDrive for Business||X|
|SharePoint Online (Plan 2)||X||X|
|Skype for Business Online (Plan 2)||X||X||X|
|To-Do (Plan 2)||X||X||X|
|Whiteboard (Plan 2)||X||X|
|Windows 10 Enterprise||X||X|
* Exchange Online provides access to email, calendar, people, contacts, and tasks.
- Office 365 - What features are included in Office 365?
- Office 365 - What should I expect when I am no longer a Faculty, Staff, or Student?
- Office 365 - Backup OneDrive for Business data
- Office 365 - Your subscription has expired
- Office 365 - What version of Microsoft Office is affected by a license change?
- Office 365 (Outlook for Windows/MacOS) - How is Outlook configured?
- Office 365 - How will a license change impact the Office 365 license I purchased from the DoIT Tech Store?
- Office 365 - What are recommended productivity tools after a license change?
- Office 365 - How will Emeriti with paid appointments be affected?
- Office 365 - Preserving organizational data due to a position change or retirement
- Office 365 - UW-Madison student licensing
- Help Desk - Deactivation Timeline for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics