Topics Map > Top Hat
Top Hat - Getting Started [UW-Madison]
This document is meant to brief people new to Top Hat, and provide necessary training resources. For a brief overview of Top Hat, see Top Hat - Overview (UW-Madison)
Instructor Considerations before Use
- Top Hat integrates with Canvas and allows for syncing of grades, rosters, and assignments.
- Top Hat offers a large range of functionality which you can use in many different ways in your course. Due to this versatility the Learn@UW Team recommends you meet with a consultant and/or a Top Hat representative before using the tool. They will aid you in getting the most out of the tool for your use case. You can always call the DoIT Help Desk and ask to meet with a consultant or contact your local support services.
- The quickest and easiest way to use Top Hat is with the Top Hat Presentation Tool.
Information to Share with Students
- Top Hat is a Bring Your Own Device model: students can only use it if they have a laptop, tablet or cellphone
- UW-Madison's Responsible Use of Information Technology Policy applies to Top Hat.
- Students using Top Hat for UW-Madison courses must abide by the Dean of Students Office's Guidelines for Academic Integrity.
Steps to Get Started with Top Hat
- Create your Top Hat account: Top Hat - Account Setup (Instructors) [UW-Madison] or Top Hat - Account Setup (Students) [UW-Madison]
- Navigate to your Canvas course
- Link Top Hat to your Canvas course: Top Hat - Syncing Grades and Rosters with Canvas (LTI 1.3) [UW-Madison]
Questions and Support
For technical help with Top Hat, please contact Top Hat directly either by filling out this support request form or calling them at 1(888) 663-5491.