Topics Map > Media Delivery > Kaltura > MediaSpace > Media Ingestion Tools
Kaltura - Uploading Files to Kaltura Mediaspace (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison instructors, staff, and students can upload most common media formats to Kaltura MediaSpace for work involving teaching and learning at UW-Madison. This document describes how to upload media files to Kaltura Mediaspace.
- Launch Chrome or Firefox, go to Kaltura MediaSpace, and login: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click on the Add New Button, and select Media Upload:
- UW-Madison's disclaimer will display. Read it and check the checkbox next to "I agree to the above terms of conditions if you do." For more information on this message see Kaltura - Information on storage, acceptable use, copyright, accessibility, and harassment policies as well as applicable state, local, and federal laws and regulations .
- The "Upload Media" interface will display. Click the Choose a file to upload button:
- Navigate to and select the file you want to upload to Kaltura MediaSpace. A common video format to upload to Kaltura is an MP4 video file.
- While the file is uploading, fill out any pertinent information. If you are uploading copyrighted footage for education purposes, make sure that you have the video set to 'private', this prevents any external parties from viewing the video. Generally we recommend setting the publishing setting to Unlisted as this will more easily let you use the video where you want outside of Kaltura MediaSpace. Here's some more information on the three publshing settings:
Private - makes the video only viewable by you; sharing the link to the video requires a login with your NetID and password to view.
Unlisted - any user with the URL can view the video
Public - Searchable and viewable on the main Mediaspace site.
(click for full size image)
- Click Save.
After the video is uploaded, Kaltura will take additional time to initially list your video in your "My Media" area. When it does appear in My Media an icon indicating it is still processing will display until it is done processing. Shorter videos are usually processed within 10 minutes, but longer videos like lectures captures will take more time - on average 2-3 times the duration of the video. You cannot preview or publish a video while it is being processed. You can edit media information.
Uploaded Media can be found under the My Media button on the title bar. It will not appear immediately - there is a small initial delay. When it does initialy appear in My Media an icon indicating it is still processing will display until it is done processing. After you've uploaded your media you may want to review the following documents: