My UW-Madison - Login Problems
This document provides troubleshooting steps for resolving login issues with My UW-Madison.
Your NetID is computer-generated based on official University records. Typically your NetID is generated by some combination of your first, middle and last name. It is the first part of your WiscMail address (before @wisc.edu).
Error: "Login Failed. For assistance please refer to the Help Desk documentation."
It is possible to see this error if the portal is down, or under maintenance, see the Outage Page
If there is not an outage, then please try the following:
- Check to see if your keyboard's "Caps-Lock" was enabled. If it was disable the "Caps-Lock".
- Verify that you are using a supported browser. Please see: MyUW - Recommended Browsers
- If you are unsure of your password, use the NetID Password Reset Utility
You have recently lost the ability to log in to MyUW. You are able to log in from another computer.
Most likely this is occurring due to a problem with your browser or a firewall. Please try the following troubleshooting steps in order and attempt to log in again after each step.
- Is the browser supported by MyUW?
MyUW - Recommended Browsers
- Clear browser cache and cookies.
Clearing Browser Cache and Cookies
- Are Cookies enabled?
Web Browsers - Cookies FAQ (use the "Managing Cookies" links at the bottom of the page.)
- Is Java installed and updated?
Windows - Installing Java
If you are still unable to log in from a different browser, check for local firewall software and inspect settings My UW-Madison - Firewall and Login Issues.
If you continue to have login problems, please call the Help Desk at (608) 264-HELP (4357).