Effective January 2018, individuals who leave the University will begin a deactivation process that may change their access to the following services:Affected IT Services
- Office 365
- G Suite
Note: Service-based deactivation will not impact the NetID Login Service.
Why is my access changing?
Your affiliation type determines how your access to affected IT services will change when you leave the University. Please see the chart below to learn more.
|Reason for |
|Access to |
|Access to |
|Retiree with IT services*||HR updated your status from former employee to retiree with IT services||Reduced to email, calendar, contacts, and tasks only|
- Lose access to all other web and desktop apps
*Retirees are not automatically granted continued access to campus IT services and will need to apply to retain access. Contact your HR department to learn more.
Note: If your HR department does not update their records to indicate you have either emeritus status or retiree with IT services status, you will lose access to the affected services listed above.
When will I lose access?View the service-based deactivation timelineto see when your access will change.
What should I do next?Step 1: You are encouraged to classify data that you created into two categories:
Personal data: You can keep this data and will need to backup files before losing access to your account.
University data: You will need to transfer ownership of this data to designated faculty/staff or to another University account.
Step 2: Once you organize your data, your next step will be to either backup or transfer ownership of that data:
|Backup personal data||Transfer ownership of University data|
- Email and Calendar: No further action is required because you will continue to have access to these services.
- Web and Desktop Apps: Office 365 - Backup OneDrive for Business data*
|Office 365 - Preserving organizational data due to a position change or retirement|
|G Suite||UW-Madison G Suite - Backing up data (Optional) - No further action is required because you will continue to have access to this service.|
|Box||UW-Madison Box - Backup your data (Optional) - No further action is required because you will continue to have access to this service.||Box - Transferring Folder Ownership|
|Qualtrics||Qualtrics Survey Hosting - Backup your data (Optional) - No further action is required because you will continue to have access to this service.||Qualtrics Survey Hosting - Transfer ownership of your survey|
Important Note: Once your appointment or student status changes, your access to OneDrive and your license for the Outlook desktop client will expire 90 days after the change.
- Help Desk - Resources for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics account deactivations
- Help Desk - Deactivation Notifications for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics
- Help Desk (Emeriti) - Steps to take before your access to Office 365, Google, Zoom, Box, and Qualtrics changes
- Privileges for UW-Madison Retirees and Emeriti
- UW-Madison Retirement Association - Guide to Emeritus Status