Topics Map > Campus Services > My UW-Madison
AEFIS - Frequently Asked Questions (UW-Madison)
Training sessions will be held each semester for college/department AEFIS admins. If you would like to be notified of training opportunities and become part of the department admin AEFIS Users Group, just email email@example.com.
How-to documents can be found here. Also here is a list of Frequently Asked Technical Questions:
How are "Meets With" and "Cross Listed" sections handled?
All students are listed in their enrolled course. AEFIS will show the primary and secondary courses. Primary courses have a bold chain with the number of courses as a subscript number (meaning primary) and all secondary courses have just the chain. If you want all students to be surveyed, you must assign ONLY the primary course, doing so will automatically assign secondary/linked courses.
How often does AEFIS pull data from SIS?
AEFIS updates its database nightly with the latest SIS data using the CAOS integration.
My Course information isn't correctly listed in AEFIS
AEFIS lists student and course data directly from SIS. Please check that the information is correctly listed on SIS and wait for the nightly SIS->AEFIS update cycle.
How do I view secondary Instructors?
In AEFIS click on Menu > Course Sections > Home. Secondary instructors will be listed at the bottom of the “Course Details” if any are available.
How do I fix incorrectly listed instructors?
All instructors are pulled from SIS. If an instructor or TA is incorrect, check SIS and update. Any changes to SIS are updated to AEFIS each day after 4 pm.
What instructor will students see on the survey?
When the survey is sent out, the words "Primary Instructor" will be replaced with the name of the primary instructor followed by Primary Instructor listed for that section (for instructor type questions).
Similarly, the words "Secondary Instructors" will be replaced with names of ALL secondary instructors listed for the section they are enrolled in (for instructor type questions). If there are two secondary instructors the question is listed twice, one for each secondary instructor. If there are no secondary instructors, students will not see that section of the survey. The discussion of Instructor roles is a conversation taking place around the Student Digital Ecosystem. Once Instructor roles are defined at UW, the ability to have different instructor roles within AEFIS will be developed. It is estimated that the first time roles will be possible will be Fall 2018.
How are primary instructors picked?
Instructors are sorted by instructor role, then by campus ID number, older instructors have lowest number, therefore that faculty member becomes primary instructor of course. We realize this formula is not always accurate. However, until Instructor roles are defined at UW, this method is the only possible option. The discussion of Instructor roles is a conversation taking place around the Student Digital Ecosystem. Once Instructor roles are defined at UW, roles will be used to determine who is the primary. It is estimated that the first time roles will be possible will be Fall 2018.
When can instructors add their questions to the survey?
If you have added a "Course Section Questions" question to your survey template, then instructors will be able to add their own questions. Questions must be added and finalized at least one day before survey runs in order to be attached. Questions cannot be added once the survey has started. Instructors and department admins can add course section questions. They will only be added to any survey that is not currently running. They can be added at any point in the semester. If no survey is started, they will not be used.
How do I create different surveys for lecture (faculty) and discussion/lab sections (TAs)?
The most common way is to create two separate survey templates, one for Instructors and one for TAs.
What is the difference between a "Student course evaluation" and "Faculty Course evaluation" Survey Type?
Student survey types are surveys that go to students. Faculty survey types are surveys that go to faculty.
When would it be advantageous to use the Question Library?
If you plan to use a question in multiple surveys, you should save the question to your library to be able to quickly access it in the future.
I cannot add a metric question even if there are metrics assigned, what should I do?
- You are only allowed to assign two questions as metric questions. If you have recently unassigned a question as metric, it may take the system a few minutes to update and allow you to re-assign a question as metric. You must have at least one metric question. Metric question results display on the faculty dashboard to quickly see a value.
What are metric questions and how to edit them?
Metric questions are numerical questions that will display graphs on the survey results page for easily comparing responses to questions.
Why isn't my course listed?
AEFIS courses are automatically populated from SIS, if the course is not listed in SIS it will not show up in AEFIS.
How would you know questions are in the question library?
There will be a green book on the bottom right of the question window on the question editor.
Does the "No Answer" option have weight attached to it?
No, it has no numeric value, so it doesn't affect any of the statistics.
Where do you recommend I place the "No Answer" Field?
- "Prepend" will place it before the answer choices.
- "Append" will place it at the end.
- "Prepend" is preferred because then the "no answer" choice is next to the worst answer (instead of next to the best answer) so mis-clicks will have a smaller impact.
Why can't I delete a finalized survey?
You cannot get rid of a survey after it has run. If the survey has not run, you need to cancel the schedule, then "Restore" it, and then you will be able to delete it.
How is the "Pause" button different than the "Stop" in the survey schedule page (Actions>Pause/Stop)?
- Stop → Don't schedule this survey next semesters, if you just stop it it will continue to run this semester but not next.
- Pause → Temporarily stops the survey schedule. For example, if you do not want to have a survey created for summer but want the survey running every spring and fall, you can pause it after the spring survey is created and start it again in the fall.
What is the difference between schedule and survey?
A survey Schedule … It is easier to change dates in the survey instance
I don't see the survey in the AEFIS System?
- Your class may not be using AEFIS for course evaluations
- Survey may already be closed. (And can only be reopened by the department admin)
Who will receive a survey email?
- Each student will receive one generic email per date. So if the students has five courses starting today, they will receive one email.
Where are my surveys from last term?
- Navigate to : Surveys->Surveys
- Filter by term then surveys were run on.
Why can't I see any assigned users in my survey?
"Survey Participants" list will not be populated until the survey has started to run.
Can I reopen/extend the survey evaluation period past finals?
This can only be done at the Department level (e.g. re-open ALL English Courses) and is a request that would have to be done by the department admin.
When do surveys close?
Surveys close at midnight on the day selected for the end date.
Can you assign a course to a survey after the survey started?
You can assign courses after a survey has started, but students will get less time to complete them. There will also be a delay when the course is assigned and when the students receive the invitation.
How do I un-submit a survey ?
- Under the "Survey Participants" list, in the drop down menu, you will have the option to un-submit a survey that has been completed.
How does the "Email Preview" work?
Email Preview takes a random student and shows you what the actual email that will be sent to that student looks like. You will not be able to use this option until you have assigned a course to the survey because it needs a list of students to pull data from.
What is the Email Queue Manager
The Email Queue Manager keeps copies of actual emails sent out to students
Can you Test send a survey email?
Will students receive an email to my survey?
No, students will receive an email with a link to AEFIS (aefis.wisc.edu) and the homepage will list surveys that they can take.
How many emails will students receive?
- Students will receive one generic in the beginning, then individual emails after that. After that they will receive an email reminder every three days. Survey creators have the option of choosing whether students are sent out email invitation and reminders so email frequency may vary.
How do I exclude Instructors from being surveyed?
Navigate to the survey of interest. Under settings, check the box to exclude faculty. This only works when you have surveys with instructor questions going to either “ALL” or “Secondary” only. It does not work if going to Primary only. When you assign a course, once assigned you can click on the arrow by “assign” and there is now an “exclude faculty” option. It will open a list of all faculty and you can exclude the ones you do not want listed.
When are survey results available?
The day after final grades are due.
If we are the secondary in the course how do we see the results?
- Get permission from the primary department
- Contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Can I combine survey results for different classes?
- If both classes used the same survey you can combine results.
- If classes were assigned to different surveys you need to manually combine them in Excel.
- If you have questions in the survey library, you can compare results across different surveys that contain that question, which allows questions to be tracked across time, otherwise not possible.
My survey response is very low, how do you recommend I run my surveys?
- There are two main ways AEFIS is being used.1) Survey invitations are sent out to students. -> Students fill out surveys outside class
- 2) In class survey, no survey invitation higher response -> Instructor tells students to bring their internet connected device on a specific day to fill out survey in class.
- Note: This way results in higher student response, although some class time is taken.