Topics Map > Learning Analytics & Assessment > AEFIS
AEFIS - Eval Survey Template - Creating Survey Metrics (Admin)
This document describes how to add metrics to an AEFIS survey template. You must be an AEFIS administrator to edit survey templates.
In AEFIS course evaluations, a metric is an optional feature that combines the responses from multiple survey questions.
An example may be an "Overall Instructor" metric. The survey may contain three separate survey questions that evaluate the instructor's "availability", "presentation effectiveness", and "approachability". A survey metric can combine the responses from these three related questions, to produce a single composite score.
An AEFIS course evaluation may contain zero, one or two metrics. These metrics will be conveniently displayed on the instructor's AEFIS dashboard in the “My Course Evaluations” panel.
For survey questions to be combined in a metric, they need to have the same number of possible answers and must be the same type of question. For example, either all instructor multiple choice or all multiple choice.
Create AEFIS Metrics
Before creating AEFIS metrics, you must first create an AEFIS survey template (AEFIS - Eval Survey Template - Creating a Survey Template (Admin)) and add survey questions (AEFIS - Eval Survey Template - Creating and Editing Questions (Admin)).
- Log into AEFIS with your NetID credentials.
- Select the Menu button (three stacked lines) on the left side of the page to open the AEFIS main menu.
- Select Survey Templates under Surveys.
- Navigate to the template you want to edit. Confirm that the survey template is in Draft status and select Manage.
- Select Metrics from the left menu bar.
- Click Edit to launch Survey Metric Designer.
- Select the + Add Metric button from the top of the screen.
- Enter a Metric Name and Description. Use the blue Save button to save your metric shell.
- The Metric Name will be seen by instructors, so enter something descriptive such as "Average Instructor Score" or "Instructor Preparedness Rating."
- The Description is an optional field that will only be seen by other administrators. Enter a brief description that will help you identify the purpose of the metric.
- After you create your metric, you can go back and edit the name or description by hovering over the three vertical dots and selecting the Edit Metric icon, represented by a pencil.
- Add questions to your metric by hovering over the three vertical dots and selecting the Add Questions button, represented by horizontal line icon and a plus sign.
- Check the boxes next to the question or questions you want to add, and use the gray + Add button to add them to your metric. All metrics must include at least one question. Additionally, each question can only be used for one metric.
Note: AEFIS only allows one type of question per metric. You can determine a question's type by looking at the upper-right corner of the question tile. In the screenshot above, the question type is Instructor Multi Choice. On this metric, only Instructor Multi-Choice questions can be selected; not course multi-choice questions. However, you can create an additional metric where you can choose to add course multiple-choice questions.
- If you wish to add a second metric, repeat this process.
- When finished adding metrics to this survey template, Click EXIT.
How Metrics Appear on the AEFIS Dashboard (For Instructors)
The evaluation results of any AEFIS course survey can be found on your AEFIS dashboard, in the panel called "My Course Evaluations".
When a metric has been set up for a course survey, it will appear in that panel, as presented here (see area boxed in orange below).