Topics Map > Canvas
Canvas - Adding a Kaltura Video Quiz As a Canvas Course Assignment [UW-Madison]
Additional information is available in Kaltura's document Kaltura Video Quiz Canvas Gradebook User Guide.
Due to reliability issues, we recommend using Kaltura video quizzes for ungraded student self-testing and preparation ONLY. We do not recommend using this integration until reading this document entirely.
If you still want to try Kaltura video quizzes connected to the gradebook, this document describes the process. Understand that the grades may not be automatically passed to the Canvas gradebook; requiring manual transfer of grades from Kaltura MediaSpace to the Canvas gradebook. If you use Kaltura video quizzes in your course we recommend instructing your students to:
- Complete a video quiz within four hours of starting it,
- Complete it before the assignment's due date and available until date and time,
- Verify they click the Submit button at the end of the video quiz.
There are several known issues that may prevent the grade from being passed to the Canvas gradebook. However, quiz results will be stored in the video quiz's analytics in Kaltura Mediaspace.
- Privacy software may prevent the grade from being passed to Canvas.
- If a student starts a video quiz and doesn't complete it within 4 hours, the quiz result will not be passed to the Canvas gradebook (Kaltura - Known Issue - Kaltura Video Quizzes Sometimes Don't Send a Grade to the Canvas Gradebook [UW-Madison]).
- Additionally, if a student to enters a video quiz assignment before the due/available until date and time, and completes it after that date/time, Canvas will not accept the grade due to it being past the due/available until date and time.
- Unstable internet connections can prevent grades from being transferred.
- Students using iOS devices with a mobile browser will have trouble viewing Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ) assignments.Workarounds include:
- Asking the student to use the Chrome or Firefox on Windows or macOS.
- Use the Canvas Student app
- Login to Canvas using Safari on iOS, and follow the workaround described in Kaltura/Canvas - Known Issue - "Browser Cookies Issue" Message - Enabling Third-Party Cookies [UW-Madison]
Adding a Kaltura video quiz as a Canvas course assignment
- Create a Kaltura Interactive Video Quiz in Kaltura MediaSpace as outlined in Kaltura - Adding Questions to Your Videos with Kaltura Video Quizzes [UW-Madison]
- In your Canvas course click on Assignments.
- Click the +Assignment button to add an assignment.
- Enter the assignment details including the assignment name, description, points, group, and "display grade as" settings.
- Under Submission Type click the drop-down and select External Tool.
- Under External Tool Options click the Find button.
- Scroll to and click on Kaltura Video Quiz from the list of available tools:
- A Link Resource from External Tool window will open and display a list of Kaltura Interactive Video Quizzes. Select the video quiz you want your students to take by clicking on the blue </> Embed button next to the quiz. You can further customize the embed by clicking the gear icon.
- You will be taken back to the list of available external tools. Click the red Select button.
- Set the dates you would like the video quiz to be available.
- If you are ready to make the video quiz available to students, click Save & Publish. Otherwise just click Save. The video quiz grade item will not show up in the Grades tool until you publish the assignment the video quiz is part of.