Topics Map > LMS > Canvas
Canvas - Adding a Kaltura Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ) as an Assignment
This document describes how to add a Kaltura Mediaspace Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ) as an assignment in Canvas that connects to the gradebook.
Additional information is available in Kaltura's document Kaltura Video Quiz Canvas Gradebook User Guide.
We recommend that you provide instructions to your students that they should complete a video quiz within 3 hours once they start it, and to complete it before the assignment's due date and "available until" date and time. There is a known issue (Kaltura - Known Issue - Kaltura video quizzes sometimes don't send a grade to the Canvas gradebook ) where if a student starts a video quiz and doesn't complete it within 3 hours, that the quiz result will not be passed to the Canvas gradebook. The quiz result will still be available in the video quiz's analytics in Kaltura MediaSpace even if the quiz result is not passed to the Canvas gradebook. It is also possible for a student to enter a video quiz assignment before the due/available until date and time, but not complete it until after that. If that occurs, a grade will be stored in Kaltura MediaSpace, but Canvas will not accept it due to it being past the due/available until date and time. We recommend instructors use this feature with the understanding that the above use-cases will cause grades to not be passed to the Canvas gradebook.
Students using iOS devices with a mobile browser will have trouble viewing Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ) assignments. The best practice is for the student to use Chrome or Firefox on Windows or OSX. Alternately iOS users can use the Canvas Student app, or Safari to login to Canvas and follow the workaround described in Canvas/Kaltura - Known Issue - Interacting with Kaltura Media in Canvas Presents a Message About Blocked Cookies (UW-Madison) to view the IVQ assignment in Canvas on iOS.
- Create a Kaltura Interactive Video Quiz in Kaltura MediaSpace as outlined in Kaltura - Adding questions to your videos via Interactive Video Quizzing (IVQ)
- In your Canvas course click on Assignments.
- Click the +Assignment button to add an assignment.
- Enter the assignment details including the assignment name, description, points, group, and "display grade as" settings.
- Under Submission Type click the drop-down and select External Tool.
- Under External Tool Options click the Find button.
- Scroll to and click on Kaltura Video Quiz from the list of available tools:
- A Link Resource from External Tool window will open and display a list of Kaltura Interactive Video Quizzes. Select the video quiz you want your students to take by clicking on the blue </> Emed button next to the quiz. You can further customize the embed by clicking the gear icon.
- You will be taken back to the list of available external tools. Click the red Select button.
- Set the dates you would like the video quiz to be available.
- If you are ready to make the video quiz available to students, click Save & Publish. Otherwise just click Save. The video quiz grade item will not show up in the Grades tool until you publish the assignment the video quiz is part of.