Topics Map > Learning Analytics & Assessment > AEFIS
AEFIS - Eval - Frequently Asked Questions (Instructor)
This document provides answers to common instructor questions about AEFIS, UW-Madison's course evaluation survey tool. For student FAQs, see AEFIS - Eval - Frequently Asked Questions (Student).
What is AEFIS?
The Student Learning Assessment team is led by the Office of the Provost in partnership with DoIT Academic Technology, and has school/college and department partners along with Student Digital Ecosystem partners and units.
AEFIS LLC (Assessment, Evaluation, Feedback & Intervention System) is a web-based assessment management system that facilitates the collection and application of real-time assessment data. For more information visit the Student Learning Assessment site.
Student learning assessment is an integrated, ongoing component of academic life and the student experience at UW-Madison. Key areas include:
- Assessment planning and reporting
- Learning outcomes
- Course syllabi
- Direct evidence of student learning (DESL)
- Course Evaluations
- All of these are either directly or indirectly accessed from with AEFIS.
When do AEFIS surveys go out?
Most departments release AEFIS course evaluations once a semester. Departments generally schedule end-of-semester evaluations to go out to students two weeks before the end of the semester. As an instructor, you will receive an email notification three days before evaluations are sent to students.
Departments may also send out midterm evaluations for some or all of their courses. Midterm surveys are usually sent out to students between weeks five to seven of the semester. You will receive an email notification three days before midterm evaluations are sent to students.Your AEFIS Academic Contact will determine whether or not your college or department offers midterm evaluations and the exact dates that evaluations are released.
How do I add a question to my AEFIS course survey?
As an instructor, you can only create questions on your AEFIS survey if these conditions are met: On the course section question designer page: Course and instructor-type matrix questions function differently than other question types. To create a matrix question: You will see a list of the questions you have created so far on the course section question designer page. You must publish your questions at least one day before you survey is scheduled to go out. Questions that have not been published and questions that have been published after the deadline will not appear on your survey.
Navigating to Course Section Question Designer
Creating a New Survey Question
Creating a Matrix Question
Editing or Copying an Existing Survey Question
Publish Survey Questions
As an instructor, you can only create questions on your AEFIS survey if these conditions are met:
On the course section question designer page:
Course and instructor-type matrix questions function differently than other question types. To create a matrix question:
You will see a list of the questions you have created so far on the course section question designer page.
You must publish your questions at least one day before you survey is scheduled to go out. Questions that have not been published and questions that have been published after the deadline will not appear on your survey.
How do I access my survey results?
- Log into AEFIS with your NetID credentials.
- Navigate to your course dashboard (if you aren't already there) by clicking on the house icon in the top left corner of the screen within the grey ribbon.
- On your course dashboard, locate the My Course Evaluations module.
- Your courses will be listed by section. You may need to scroll down within this widget to see current semester. While a survey is running, you can see the current response rates on this screen. Note: If you are looking for past semesters, click the three black vertical dots on the top right of the My Course Evaluations widget and choose Past Evaluations.
- Once results are available (day after grades are due), scroll over the blue button with three vertical dots to expand your menu.
- Click on the gray bar graph button to view your results.
- View your results within AEFIS or export them using the Export button in the top right corner of the results page.
Instructors can also create course evaluation reports. For more information see AEFIS - Eval Results - Reports Homepage (Instructor)
What is an AEFIS Academic Contact? Who is is my Academic Contact?
The AEFIS Academic Contact is a college or department level AEFIS administrator who is responsible for tasks such as setting up evaluations in AEFIS, creating and editing evaluation questions, and setting a distribution schedule for evaluations. You may wish to contact your Academic Contact if you have questions about a question or metric on your department's survey, or if you have specific questions about survey schedules.
Contact information will be listed in any emails you receive from AEFIS, including emails sent before course evaluations are distributed to students. If you do not have or cannot find contact information for your Academic Contact, email firstname.lastname@example.org.