Topics Map > Course Proposals
Course Proposal: Approval Workflow
Steps in the Approval Workflow
All approvals must be completed before a proposal may advance to the next step of workflow.
- Subject approver
- On course change proposals, a "for your information" email is sent to any program listing this course in the curriculum (Department Approver is notified) once the subject approves the course. This is not an approval step.
- Any subject listed in the "What subjects (if any) might be interested in this course?" will receive an email notifying them that a course proposal is advancing in workflow that may be of interest to them once the course is submitted to workflow. This is not an approval step. If there are concerns/support, comments may be added to the proposal once it is in workflow. Any issues must be resolved prior to advancing to the next step of workflow.
- Cross-list Subject approver (if applicable)
- School/College approver
- Cross-listed School/College approver (if applicable)
- L&S Curriculum Committee (if applicable)
- General Education Committee (if applicable)
- University Curriculum Committee
- Registrar (Student Information System)
Details about each step
- The proposal system identifies the subject approver as the subject identified in the "Subject" field. If the course is cross-listed, this subject must sign off before any other subjects are notified of the proposal.
- This role includes the chair of the department that owns the subject listing and anyone designated by the chair to approve proposals. Additional information about the responsibilities of subject (department) approvers.
- If the course is cross-listed, all subjects listed in the "Select subjects that will be crosslisted" field will be notified of required action after the subject approver approves the proposal.
- The proposal will remain in the "CrosslistedSubjs" workflow step until all subjects have approved the proposal.
- If a subject does not want to approve a proposal, an administrator will need to roll back the proposal to a previous step of workflow. Contact your school/college contact for assistance.
- To approve courses in this step of workflow, navigate to the Lumen Courses landing page and search for the course. An approve button will appear on the right hand side of the page above the workflow list.
- The proposal system identifies the school or college approver based on the departmental owner of the subject. The department owning a subject may only reside in a single school or college, thus that school or college must sign off on any proposal from that subject.
- This role includes the dean/director of the school, college, institute, or division and anyone designated by the dean or director to approve proposals. If the school/college/division is on the proposal as a cross-list partner the role will be listed under the heading CrosslistedCols. Additional information about the responsibilities of school/college/division approvers.
Cross-listed School/College approver (if applicable)
The related information for the CrosslistedCols step of workflow is the same as the CrosslistedSubjs step.
L&S Curriculum Committee (if applicable)
If a course uses attributes or designations from the College of Letters & Science, it must be reviewed and approved by the appropriate committee. This includes:
- L&S Breadth
- LAS Credit
- Foreign Language
Note: if L&S is the School/College approver, it will only show up in workflow once (it will not show up once for the school/college approver and again for the attributes/designations approver).
General Education Committee (if applicable)
If a course uses general education attributes, it must be reviewed by the appropriate General Education Committee. If a course uses more than one of these attributes/designations, it must be approved by each before advancing to the additional committee(s).
- Communication A
- Communication B
- Ethnic Studies
- Quantitative Reasoning Part A
- Quantitative Reasoning Part B
University Curriculum Committee (UCC)
All courses must be reviewed and approved by the University Curriculum Committee. Courses are reviewed by Data, Academic Planning and Institutional Research prior to the committee review to ensure that proposals meet the minimum standards set by the committee before slating them for an agenda (UCC Approver step). Once a course is at the UCC Agenda step, they are slated for an upcoming agenda.
Registrar (Student Information System)
- Registrar-Course data entry is for proposals that have been approved at UCC and are waiting to be implemented in SIS. This step was added to ensure that requisite changes are correctly implemented (previously the software would sometimes erroneously complete proposals prior to the date entry being completed, because we do not bridge requisites)
- PeopleSoft is for the data entry in the course catalog, this is final "sync" step which will complete the proposal.
Additional Notes About Workflow
- If an individual is listed as an approver for more than one subject and more than one of these subjects is cross-listed on the proposal, when they approve the proposal is approved for all subjects they are associated with.
- A proposer has six (6) months to complete the proposal form and submit it to workflow. A proposal must be fully approved within one year (12 months) of being submitted to workflow. See the Policy for Lumen/Guide: Lumen Content for more information.
- Proposals that are reviewed and not approved at any step may be rolled back to a previous step for revision.
- For any course proposal that has been submitted to workflow by the proposer, the progress of the proposal through workflow steps can be tracked using the workflow list on the right side of the proposal.
- Clicking on the workflow step opens an email message populated with the email addresses of those who are in the approver role. This allows you to contact an approver but do not know exactly who to contact.
- The subjects (or school/colleges) will get the email notification telling them there is a proposal to be reviewed and approved. The email will have a link to the proposal itself and the proposal will not appear on the console page that lists all proposals for that subject listing. These proposals can only be approved through the proposal page, not the subject (or college) approver queue or the CrosslistedSubjs or Crosslisted Cols queue.
- Subjects and school/colleges listed in these roles may enter comments but may not rollback a proposal.
- All cross-listed subjects (or school/colleges) will be listed under this step and must approve before the proposal will move to the next step in workflow.
- The individual subject (or school/college) roles listed under the step will appear in gray text until approval has been entered and then the text will turn green. The approval path will not record which user in the role approved the proposal.
- After the last subject (or school/college) has entered approval, a system process advances the proposal to the next step. If there is no specific subject and school/college/division listed (i.e. there are no cross-list partners) then these steps (while they appear in the workflow list) are automatically skipped.
Following is a list of the faculty and/or staff in the schools and colleges who are responsible for academic planning activities.
|Data, Academic Planning & Institutional Research (DAPIR)
Associate Director, DAPIR
Lumen Systems, academic structure
Lumen Courses, course proposals, University Curriculum Committee, curricular changes and Guide interaction
Program review, Accreditation, Lumen Programs, University Academic Planning Council, NC-SARA
|Agricultural and Life Sciences, College of
Course proposals, program proposals
|Business, School of
|Continuing Studies, Division of
Assistant Dean of Professional Degrees & Certificates
|Education, School of
Senior Associate Dean
|Sara Alva Lizarraga
Policy and Planning Analyst
Academic program development and changes
Course proposals, program proposals, assessment, program review
|Engineering, College of
Academic Planner and Data Analyst
Assistant Dean for Academic Analysis, Planning, and Assessment
Program review, Lumen Programs, , Graduate Faculty Executive Committee
Institutional Academic Planner I
Guide, program proposals
|Human Ecology, School of
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education and Innovation
Director of Academic Planning and Assessment
Assistant Director of Academic Planning
|Letters & Science, College of
Associate Dean for Academic Planning
Program review, cross-college initiatives, centers and institutes, academic program development
|Medicine and Public Health, School of
|Nursing, School of
|Pharmacy, School of
Assistant Dean for Assessment and Academic Planning
Academic Advisor and Curricular Services Manager
|Veterinary Medicine, School of
Associate Dean for Professional Programs
Administrative and Curricular Specialist
If you have an update to this table, please contact Karen Mittelstadt (Academic Planner, DAPIR) at email@example.com.