Course Proposal: Review and Approve
This page is intended to help those who are in approver roles navigate the course proposal system. It does not include information about the process of reviewing and approving the proposal. Users are encouraged to review information about the responsibilities of approves at various steps of the workflow and consult their department, school or college regarding requirements and standards for granting approval. For more information, see the Policy on the Course Proposal Review Process - Purpose, Standards and Responsibilities.
Those listed in an Approver role in the workflow will receive an email when there is a proposal that requires approval before it can move to the next step of the workflow.
The email will list the subject/course number and title of the proposal needing approval and a link to the approval console for the role in question. If you are an approver on multiple subjects then there will be a menu for each role (the menus are based on role not the person(s) in the role).
Note: If the role you are associated with is being included because a course is crosslisted be aware that the email you receive will be the only way you can access that proposal (other than searching for it on the main course proposal screen); it will not appear on the approval console for that role.
Once a proposal is selected from the list of all proposals that are at that workflow step. The proposal form will appear with a bar at the top with the various actions that an approver can take.
1. Page Review - Print or create a pdf copy of the proposal Note: Be sure to go to the bottom of the proposal and click on the syllabus and other documents that were uploaded as part of the proposal. These are not automatically included in the printed/pdf copy of the proposal.
2. View changes by - If multiple people have made changes to a proposal it is possible to view the proposal only seeing the edits made by specific users. For course change proposals clicking Hide Changes will return the proposal to its last approved state.
3. Edit - Make changes to the submitted proposal. Once a proposal has been submitted to workflow it can not be edited via the main Course Inventory Management console. Only users in the approver role step that the proposal is currently at or in a future workflow step may edit a proposal and it must be done through the Approve Pages console.
Rollback - If the proposal can not be approved until changes are made by the proposer or other person associated with a previous approval step, click Rollback, select the workflow step that the proposal should be sent back to and enter a comment describing the edits that are needed and click Save. This will send an email notification to those in the Approver step selected and the proposal will be moved back to the selected, previous step in the approval process with a comment explaining what is needed. The proposal will then have to go through all approval steps from the point of the rollback. (ex. If the UCC step rolls a proposal back to the proposer it must be approved again by the department/subject, the school/college etc. If the UCC step rolls it back to the school/college step then only the steps listed after that step would have to approve before it came back to the UCC.) Do not select the CrosslistedSubjs or CrosslistedCols step, the proposal should be sent back to the proposer, the subject owner or the school/college of the subject owner.
Approve - Clicking the Approve button approves the proposal and moves it to the next step of workflow. It will immediately disappear from the screen and from the list of courses needing approval by that role.
4. The proposal can also be approved by clicking the large green Approve button. To approve the proposal but include a comment first click Add Comment, enter text and click Save.
Once the Approve button is clicked the proposal will disappear from the list of courses on the approval console. It can be accessed again using the search feature on the main page of the proposal system and comments can be added but no additional edits can be made.
- Course Proposal: Approval Workflow
- How to Access Lumen Courses or Lumen Programs
- Course Proposal: System Functionality
- Course Proposal: Getting Started
- Course Proposal: Basic Catalog Information
- Course Proposal: Course Content Information
- Course Proposal: Course Designations
- Course Proposal: Rationale for the Course