Help Desk (Former Student) - Steps to take before your access to Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics changes
Effective January 2018, individuals who leave the University will begin a deactivation process that may change their access to the following services:Affected IT Services
- Office 365
- G Suite
Note: Service-based deactivation will not impact the NetID Login Service.
Why is my access changing?
Your affiliation type determines how your access to affected IT services will change when you leave the University. Please see the chart below to learn more.
|Former Student||Registrars Office updated your status
to indicate you are no longer enrolled at the University
- Reduced to email, calendar, contacts, and tasks only
|Continues||Lose access||Lose access|
Important note about your UW-Madison email account
If you are/were a student when campus started using Office 365, you will continue to have access to email, calendar, contacts, and tasks after you leave the University.
May lose access
If you were a student before campus started using Office 365, you may lose access to email, calendar, contacts, and tasks after you leave the University. This change may also impact your access to your UW-Madison G Suite account. View UW-Madison G Suite eligiblity requirements.
When will I lose access?
View the service-based deactivation timeline to see when your access will change.
What should I do next?Step 1: You are encouraged to classify data that you created into two categories:
Personal data: You can keep this data and will need to backup files before losing access to your account.
University data: You will need to transfer ownership of this data to designated faculty/staff or to another University account.
Step 2: Once you organize your data, your next step will be to either backup or transfer ownership of that data:
|Backup personal data||Transfer ownership of University data|
- Email and Calendar: No further action is required because you will continue to have access to these services.
- Web and Desktop Apps: Office 365 - Backup OneDrive for Business data*
|Office 365 - Preserving organizational data due to a position change or retirement|
|G Suite||UW-Madison G Suite - Backing up data|
|Box||UW-Madison Box - Backup your data||Box - Transferring Folder Ownership|
|Qualtrics||Qualtrics Survey Hosting - Backup your data||Qualtrics Survey Hosting - Transfer ownership of your survey|
Important Note: Once your appointment or student status changes, you will lose access to OneDrive and your license for Outlook desktop client will expire approximately 25 days after the change.
- Document 8228 is unavailable at this time.
- Help Desk - Resources for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics account deactivations
- Help Desk - Deactivation Notifications for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics
- Help Desk - Deactivation Timeline for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics
- Office of the Registrar
- UW-Madison G Suite - What types of accounts are eligible?
- Qualtrics Survey Hosting - Terms of Service