Topics Map > Guide
Topics Map > Course Proposals
Topics Map > Program Proposals
Topics Map > Lumen Policy
Topics Map > Lumen Overview
Lumen Policy: Course Draw Principles/Logic
how the course information populates in which environment
This is a summary of the policy detailing the Lumen Course Draw Principles and Logic. Click here to view the official policy in its entirety in the UW-Madison Policy Library.
The course draw is a selection of courses from the Student Information System (SIS) that are sent to the Lumen vendor (CourseLeaf), which populates Guide, Lumen Courses, and Lumen Programs. The following explanation details how those courses are selected. The original course draw was reviewed and approved by ACPRAC 20 January 2017.
The course draw includes:
- All active courses (effective for the current or any future term).
- All inactive courses that have had any type of enrollment within the last 8 years (includes those used for transfer equivalency, study abroad etc.).
- Courses inactivated with an effective date of the current (or future) term.
The course draw does not include:
- Transfer electives (MSN acad group - X##)
- Inactivate courses with no enrollment in past 8 years (regardless of when course was inactivated).
- Courses 'hard-code' removed that had been used in transfer equivalencies that were inactive at the time they were applied to a student's record. (The process by which this occurred has been altered so this will not happen again in the future.)
Course proposals to discontinue a course will be inactivated in SIS for the term in which the proposal is submitted (based on when the proposal reaches the Peoplesoft role). If the proposal has a past effective term, it will be updated to the current term (this is done by editing and resubmitting to workflow). Courses will not be inactivated for a future term in SIS as it negatively impacts the course draw and won’t show up as a red-box course in Lumen Programs until the term in which is inactive. Courses that are proposed for a future discontinuation term will wait until the term proposed for inactivation in SIS. The assumption is: courses will be inactivated for the term proposed, as the last term should align when the course is no longer scheduled. Course inactivation proposals will not be processed during the last week of a term.
During the last week of each term a query/process will be run by the Registrar's Office to determine which inactive courses have not had enrollment in the past eight years. The process compares the current term with the next future term. The courses identified as unique courses will be archived in Lumen Courses. In this context, enrollment includes enrollment in a class offered on campus/online and also the use of the course in transfer or study abroad course equivalencies. The archival process is what makes the course number eligible for reuse on a new course proposal.
Note: The Obsolete Course Process will inactivate courses with a fall effective date each year. The Obsolete Course Process uses a slightly different standard for determining which courses are included as it considers only whether the course has been taught on campus (it does not consider whether the course has been used for transfer or study abroad equivalency). Therefore, there are courses that will be inactivated during this process but will not be immediately archive-able (and the course number will not be available for reuse).
All courses that are available in Lumen Courses are also available in Lumen Programs. This includes new courses proposed in Lumen Courses but not yet approved through governance.
When proposing new programs in Lumen Programs, the courses may change not be available to students for a year or more so proposers must be careful to not include courses in the program curriculum that may be inactivated prior to the implementation of the program. Similarly, since courses can be included in programs that are not yet approved, make sure that all courses are approved in relation to the time the program proposal needs to be published in Guide.
During the time between June 1 when the new publication of Guide goes live until the October mid-cycle update, the course draw into Lumen programs is different due to the need to publish courses effective Fall 2020 in the live Guide. This means that any course proposal that is not complete and entered in SIS will display as a red-box course in Lumen Programs. From June-October, see more information about the Guide course draw.
There are two sets of course draw logic for Guide:
- Content that lives in Lumen Programs but displays in Guide
- Anything that is edited through Lumen Programs will utilize the same course draw as Lumen Courses. This includes all new, changes, and discontinuations courses in their most recent approved state (and in some cases, the future state). Courses can be deceiving in this state because there is no indication of a course that has not yet been approved through UCC versus one that is currently approved and at rest. All courses need to be approved in order to populate correctly in a live-Guide setting, which requires a solid knowledge of the status of courses within curriculum (essentially, any course must be approved for the term in which Guide is published). During the Preview-Mode prior to the June publish, courses not approved or discontinued and unavailable will be highlighted with a red-box indicating they are not available for the Fall semester.
- Content that lives in Lumen Programs but displays in Guide: How to Get in/Admissions, Accreditation, Certification/Licensure, Requirements, Learning Outcomes, Four-Year plans, Policies
- Content that lives only in Guide (catalog course draw)
- Content that lives exclusively in Guide has a unique course draw selected to display only courses in an approved state for a specific semester. For example, the June publication of Guide will display all courses that are approved for the fall semester. Any course that is discontinued prior to fall, any course in the process of being approved, or any course that is approved and the first term available is after fall term will display with a red-box around it - indicating that it is not available for that term.
- With the implementation of Lumen Programs, most of the courses reside in governed content. Courses on non-governed Guide tabs pull data from the catalog course draw. Non-governed Guide tabs are: Overview, Funding, Professional Development, People, Advising and Careers, and Resources and Scholarships. The Guide course draw is found at: guide.wisc.edu/courses/. Once Guide is published for a term, any new or discontinued courses approved for that guide term will not show up until the next guide publication (which coincides with the release of the Schedule of Classes). When you click on a course and it opens a bubble with additional course details, this data pulls from the catalog course draw.
For the Office of the Registrar:
There are two processes for pulling courses depending on the environment.
- "Next Guide" should always look at the fall term; this manually needs to be updated every year through the process in SIS. Next Guide runs nightly and auto-loads to the CourseLeaf server. While the server is updated nightly, in order to bring the courses into the editing site, courses must be imported (in the "Do Not Touch" section of the console).
- "Wisc Curr" will run exclusively for the 'mid-cycle updates,' dependent on which term is being published. Wisc Curr course draw is manually run and needs to be manually uploaded to the CourseLeaf server.
Course Draw SQL(Lumen Courses)
last updated: 4/29/2020
SELECT DISTINCT A.CRSE_ID
FROM PS_CRSE_OFFER A INNER JOIN PS_TERM_TBL B ON A.ACAD_CAREER = B.ACAD_CAREER INNER JOIN PS_CRSE_CATALOG C ON A.CRSE_ID = C.CRSE_ID
AND A.EFFDT = C.EFFDT LEFT JOIN PS_CLASS_TBL D ON A.CRSE_ID = D.CRSE_ID
AND A.ACAD_CAREER = B.ACAD_CAREER
WHERE TRUNC(SYSDATE) BETWEEN TERM_BEGIN_DT AND TERM_END_DT
AND A.EFFDT = (
WHERE CRSE_ID = A.CRSE_ID)
AND ((D.STRM = (
WHERE CRSE_ID = D.CRSE_ID
AND ENRL_TOT > 0)
AND (B.STRM - 80) < D.STRM
AND C.EFF_STATUS = 'I' ) /* BEGIN ROTS-862 */
OR (C.EFF_STATUS = 'I'
AND C.EFFDT = (
WHERE STRM = B.STRM
AND ACAD_CAREER = B.ACAD_CAREER) ) /* END ROTS-862 */ /* BEGIN ROTS-422 */
OR ( ((D.STRM = (
WHERE CRSE_ID = D.CRSE_ID
AND ENRL_TOT > 0)
AND (B.STRM - 80) > D.STRM)
SELECT DISTINCT 'X'
WHERE CRSE_ID = D.CRSE_ID
AND ENRL_TOT > 0) IS NULL ))
AND C.EFF_STATUS = 'I'
AND A.EFFDT > B.TERM_END_DT )/* END ROTS-422 */
OR C.EFF_STATUS = 'A')
AND A.ACAD_GROUP NOT IN ('FISC', 'MSN') /* Include posted transfer credit courses */
SELECT DISTINCT TCD1.CRSE_ID
FROM PS_TRNS_CRSE_DTL TCD1
, PS_TERM_TBL TT1
, PS_CRSE_OFFER CO1
WHERE TRUNC(SYSDATE) BETWEEN TT1.TERM_BEGIN_DT AND TT1.TERM_END_DT
AND TCD1.ARTICULATION_TERM > (TT1.STRM - 80)
AND TCD1.CRSE_ID <> ' '
AND TCD1.TRNSFR_STAT = 'P'
AND TCD1.CRSE_ID = CO1.CRSE_ID
AND CO1.EFFDT = (
FROM PS_CRSE_OFFER CO1_SQ
WHERE CO1_SQ.CRSE_ID = CO1.CRSE_ID)
AND CO1.ACAD_GROUP NOT IN ('FISC', 'MSN')
AND TCD1.CRSE_ID NOT IN ( '000205' ,'000562' ,'000807' ,'001070' ,'001073' ,'001301' ,'001638' ,'001831' ,'002016' ,'002098' ,'002106' ,'002751' ,'002958' ,'003193' ,'003761' ,'004233' ,'004236' ,'005300' ,'005545' ,'005548' ,'005549' ,'006280' ,'006338' ,'006722' ,'006723' ,'006830' ,'007765' ,'008454' ,'009052' ,'010225' ,'010724' ,'010725' ,'011594' ,'011604' ,'011629' ,'011842' ,'012894' ,'012897' ,'012898' ,'012977' ,'013346' ,'014675' ,'014681' ,'014871' ,'014915' ,'015039' ,'015053' ,'015151' ,'015587' ,'015856' ,'015896' ,'015919' ,'016363' ,'018247' ,'018436' ,'018451' ,'018761' ,'020012' ,'021416' ) /* Include posted transfer test courses */
SELECT DISTINCT TTD2.CRSE_ID
FROM PS_TRNS_TEST_DTL TTD2
, PS_TERM_TBL TT2
, PS_CRSE_OFFER CO2
WHERE TRUNC(SYSDATE) BETWEEN TT2.TERM_BEGIN_DT AND TT2.TERM_END_DT
AND TTD2.ARTICULATION_TERM > (TT2.STRM - 80)
AND TTD2.CRSE_ID <> ' '
AND TTD2.TRNSFR_STAT = 'P'
AND TTD2.CRSE_ID = CO2.CRSE_ID
AND CO2.EFFDT = (
FROM PS_CRSE_OFFER CO1_SQ
WHERE CO1_SQ.CRSE_ID = CO2.CRSE_ID)
AND CO2.ACAD_GROUP NOT IN ('FISC', 'MSN')
AND TTD2.CRSE_ID NOT IN ( '000205' ,'000562' ,'000807' ,'001070' ,'001073' ,'001301' ,'001638' ,'001831' ,'002016' ,'002098' ,'002106' ,'002751' ,'002958' ,'003193' ,'003761' ,'004233' ,'004236' ,'005300' ,'005545' ,'005548' ,'005549' ,'006280' ,'006338' ,'006722' ,'006723' ,'006830' ,'007765' ,'008454' ,'009052' ,'010225' ,'010724' ,'010725' ,'011594' ,'011604' ,'011629' ,'011842' ,'012894' ,'012897' ,'012898' ,'012977' ,'013346' ,'014675' ,'014681' ,'014871' ,'014915' ,'015039' ,'015053' ,'015151' ,'015587' ,'015856' ,'015896' ,'015919' ,'016363' ,'018247' ,'018436' ,'018451' ,'018761' ,'020012' ,'021416' )