Topics Map > Kaltura
Topics Map > Known Issues (all tools) > Canvas - Known Issues
Topics Map > Known Issues (all tools) > Kaltura - Known Issues
Kaltura/Canvas - Known Issue - "Browser Cookies Issue" Message - Enabling Third-Party Cookies [UW-Madison]
Here's a screenshot of the error message when viewing Canvas course material with an embedded Kaltura video in a browser blocking third party cookies - like Safari and most browsers on iOS devices.
This issue typically affects the following browsers:
- Safari (Desktop - macOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
- Safari (Mobile - iOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
- Chrome (Mobile - iOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
- Firefox (Mobile - iOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
See the workarounds below if you are using one of these browsers:
Option 1 - Use Chrome or Firefox on Windows or macOS
- Generally we recommend users view the content in Windows or macOS with Chrome or Firefox. Even Chrome or Firefox can be configured to block third-party cookies, so if you're already using one of those browsers and see the error, see the links in option 2 for how to configure your browser to enable third-party cookies.
- iOS users can use the Canvas Student app which launches embedded Kaltura media in a new window. The Canvas App with Kaltura video quiz Canvas assignments requires the student to click on the Submission tab of the Canvas assignment and click Launch External Tool to view the Kaltura video quiz.
Option 2 - Disable browser extensions such as ad-blockers
- Disable or add a site exception for any ad-blocker or similar browser extensions.
Option 3 - Enable third-party cookies or cross-site tracking in your web browser
Users may wish to enable third-party cookies in their browser to view Kaltura content embedded in Canvas. This is because Kaltura needs to communicate with Canvas to verify who you are. Follow the instructions for your browser:
- Safari for macOS
- Note: Follow these directions in reverse to allow cross-site tracking
- Safari for iOS (iPhone/iPad)
Note: If you have installed an ad blocker on your browser, please disable this on pages that use Kaltura, as it may prevent cookies from working properly.
Option 4 - Follow the error message instructions
Follow the directions in the message to click or tap on the link provided to open a new window or tab to Kaltura. Then tap the yellow got it message at the top right to accept the cookie. This will load a Kaltura cookie. You can then close the new tab or window and reload the page with your Canvas course material with embedded Kaltura media content. This workaround does not work for all affected browser versions - for example more recent versions of Safari.
If you have trouble with these workarounds users can contact the DoIT Help Desk for assistance.
Why are third-party cookies required?
- In this case, third party cookies are exchanged between Canvas and Kaltura for educational purposes only. No other third parties are involved.
- In short, Kaltura and Canvas use these cookies to identify who you are.
- For detailed information about which cookies are used and how long they exist, please refer to Kaltura’s List of Cookies Used in KMS and the Kaltura Player.