Topics Map > LMS > Canvas
Canvas - Adding people to a Canvas course (UW-Madison)
This document outlines how to add someone to your course in Canvas. It is primarily for an instructor who wishes to add a TA or co-instructor.
Manually adding someone to your course
If you want to add someone to your course that is not part of your course roster and they have a NetID, you can add them by using the People tool in Canvas.
- Login to Canvas at canvas.wisc.edu
- Click on the course you want to add someone to.
- Click on the People tool in the course navigation.
- Click the red +People button on the right hand side of the screen.
- An Add People window will open. While you can use the format the window suggests:("Bucky Badger" <firstname.lastname@example.org>), you can also simply type in the person's e-mail address. If you want to add multiple people to your course you can add multiple e-mail addressees separated by commas.
- Select the Role and Section you want to add the person to and click Next. A validation message should display.
If you receive an error message it is likely due to one of two things:
- You used the wrong e-mail address for the person. Try looking the person up in the UW-Madison directory and using the e-mail listed there. E-mails are usually email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The person you tried to add to your Canvas course is from off campus and does not have a NetID. Please see Canvas - Access for Non-UW Personnel (UW-Madison)
- Click the red Add Users button.
A Note on Student Rosters
Rosters of students are automatically added to for-credit courses in Canvas. Rosters are loaded approximately three weeks before the start of the semester and are updated daily.