Topics Map > Employee Handbook > IT Resources
ETS - G Suite - Migrate your CES Google Account (Without Assistance)
Extension no longer uses CES (ces.uwex.edu) Google Accounts and uses UW-Madison (wisc.edu) Google Accounts. As part of Extension's transition to UW-Madison, each user was tasked with transferring their CES Google Drive files to their UW-Madison Google Drive. These instructions cover the transition of Team/Shared Drives for Extension employees who would like to complete the transition on their own.
Note: This content was used for Extension's transition to UW-Madison. It is intended for individuals who are still in the processing of transitioning files.
You can find more information about UW Madison Google Suite here.
Are the Do it Yourself (DIY) Instructions for you?
- Are you ready to be done with ALL the Google transition stuff?
- Do you generally consider yourself someone who can figure out “techie stuff” when you need to? Then we have the directions for you!
- You can do it all on your own without needing to wait for an ETS staff member to do some behind the scenes magic.
- If these directions don’t make sense, or you are too busy to complete them, please check out our Shared/Team Drive “Too Swamped”” Directions. These directions make the process easier as an ETS staff member will do most of the heavy lifting.
Why do I need to complete this?
- Why do I have to do this, you ask? Right now, even if you can access your Google Shared/Team Drives from either account, they are owned by the CES side of Google if they were created using your CES account.
- We need to complete this process so they are owned by our WISC Google accounts.
- These directions will need to be repeated for each Google Team/Shared Drive of which you are a manager.
- If you open a Shared/TeamDrive on the CES side and it is empty, don’t do anything with it, just back out and move on to the next folder.
- Someone else with manager permissions has already moved the content for you.
- Assuming they followed all the directions, you will have access to the content when you log in to your WISC Google account.
- Login to your CES Google Account and go to Google Drive. Open up your Shared/Team Drives.
- Open your first Team/Shared Drive and look for the words “Add members” under the title of the Shared/Team Drive. If you do not see the words “Add member” simply click the back button and proceed to your next Shared/Team Drive. You may have already done this step in the first part of the transition. If you did, you can skip to Step 4.
- If you have an “Add member” option, click it and add your firstname.lastname@example.org. You MUST then change the role to “Manager.” The role will likely default to “Contributor” or “Content Manager,” so make sure you change it! Then finish this step by clicking send.
- At this point, you will need to log in to your WISC Google account. Incognito Mode is a very good way to do this so you can have both accounts open at the same time in different browser tabs. Proceed to your WISC Google Shared/Team Drives and make sure you see the new Shared/Team Drive(s)
- In your WISC Google account make a new Shared/Team Drive with the same name and add the word WISC behind the name. This will help avoid confusion. Once you create the folder, it will automatically open. When this happens, go back to the list of your Shared/Team Drives.
- Open the original Shared/Team Drive folder (the one without “WISC” behind it) You will know which is which because the original will say ces.uwex.edu after the number of members.
- Highlight the folders and files in the original Shared/Team Drive, right-click, and select “Move to” and click the small back arrow. Find your folder with the same name and the word WISC behind it. If the title is too long to show the end of the folder name, opt for the folder with two tiny people on it, not the one with a key on it.
- Lastly, open up the new folder where you just transferred everything and share back permissions with anyone who was part of the original Shared/Team Drive. No one else will have access to the content until you complete this step.