Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Compliance > Sexual Harassment & Sexual Violence
Compliance - Sexual Harassment & Sexual Violence - Mandatory Employee Training
Preventing Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence at UW–Madison is a required online training module for all UW-Madison faculty and staff on how to recognize, prevent, and respond to sexual assault and sexual violence in the workplace. All employees must take the course to meet our compliance obligations under Board of Regents Policy 14-2. New employees must complete the course within one (1) month of employment. Current employees must complete the course once every three (3) years.
- The university is committed to creating an environment that is free from sexual harassment and sexual violence.
- All UW-Madison faculty, academic staff, university staff, and limited appointees who receive a paycheck from the University are required to complete the "Preventing Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence at UW-Madison".
- Completion of this training is part of on-boarding requirements for new employees. Current employees who have already completed the training are required to complete the training every three (3) years.
New Employee Information
Am I Required to Take this Training?
Yes. All UW-Madison faculty, academic staff, university staff, and limited appointees who receive a paycheck from the University are required to complete the training. This includes temporary employees.
Instructions for Completing Requirement
New employees receive a link to the Title IX - Employee training website in their appointment letter from ASU OHR.
New employees should register and and complete the training by following these instructions:
- Navigate to the Title IX - Employee training website.
- Click "Register for Training" under "Preventing Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence at UW-Madison"
- Register for the online course.
- Complete the required training.
When Do I Need to Complete this Training?
- Employees will be notified of this training requirement as part of their on-boarding process or through their HR rep.
- Training should be completed within the first month of employment.
Why Do I Need To Complete this Training?
This training supports our institutional commitment to a safe and equitable campus. It also satisfies a UW Board of Regents mandate for all UW System employees. The mandate requires a refresher training every three years.
What Happens If I Do Not Complete this Training?
Employees who do not complete the training will not be eligible for general wage adjustments or performance pay increases.
Where Can I Find More Information about this Training?
Review the "Preventing Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence at UW-Madison" section of the Office of Compliance's webpage.
Policy language endorsed by the Provost’s Advisory Group on Sexual Assault and Misconduct states that supervisors are responsible for ensuring their employees complete the training. Supervisors will not be eligible for general wage adjustments or performance pay increases if employees in their responsibility areas do not complete the training unless efforts to obtain their supervisee’s compliance without success are documented. This policy is currently under review.
Need help? Contact the Office of Compliance.