Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Organizational Structure
Divisional HR - Supervisors - Definition of Extension Supervisor
Extension has a definition and criteria for identifying supervisors in the employee population. Extension supervisors are responsible for completing employee performance reviews and will be listed as the "Reports To" in HRS for employees. They are also key individuals in Extension's core business processes.
Last reviewed by Extension DLT on July 24, 2018.
Definition of Extension Supervisor
Criteria of Extension Supervisor
- Oversee hiring, coaching, supervision and performance of their direct reports, including but not limited to the following tasks: fulfilling on-boarding and off-boarding responsibilities, setting work expectations, recommending hiring rates and compensation adjustments, ensuring professional development requirements and opportunities are available and tracked, completing and submitting performance evaluations, addressing performance improvement needs, and administering disciplinary actions.
- Lead and direct a unit or sub-unit within Extension that consists of generally 3 or more ongoing positions at greater than 5% of time (exceptions for number of reports can be made on a case-by-case basis), and may include student, temporary, and short-term positions as well.
- Communicate regular policy updates and organizational expectations to all staff within their unit and ensure that expectations are being met;
- Serve as a member of management teams and contribute to policy development and implementation as requested by Extension leadership;
- Approve submitted time and absence requests for their direct reports and others as requested, e.g. in the case that another Supervisor is on leave or a position is vacant;
- Complete required Supervisor training (initial and on-going) as offered by the institution;
- Direct the work of their employees/direct reports.
Definition of Extension Time Approver*
- Any employee delegated authority by a Supervisor or who has PI status and is responsible for oversight of the financial and personnel responsibilities of grants. Expectations for Time Approver status would include part- or full-time positions that are designated to:
- Oversee the hiring, supervision and performance of non-permanent employees (i.e., students, research assistants, post-docs), including but not limited to the following tasks: fulfilling onboarding and off-boarding responsibilities, communicating regular policy updates and workplace expectations and ensure expectations are being met, assessing performance and addressing performance improvement needs, and administering disciplinary actions.
- Verify, process, or approve submitted time for their employees.
- Complete required training (initial and on-going) for hiring non-permanent employees, approving their time, and assessing performance.