Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Contracts & Agreements > General Signatory Agreements (GSA)
Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Contracts & Agreements > Space Use Agreements (SUA)
Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Contracts & Agreements > Zero-Dollar Event Contracts
Topics Map > Employee Handbook > Contracts & Agreements > Event Contracts

Contracts & Agreements - Determine Approval Process for Contract/Agreement

Extension employees should use the information below to determine which type of agreement/contract they need to sign and which workflow they should follow to have it signed by UW-Madison.

Prior to beginning, please be sure to review Contracts & Agreements - Divisional Policy & Guidance for instructions that include changes to past practices. 


Use the decision matrix to determine which workflow you will need to use. 

 Question General Signatory Authority (GSA) WorkflowSpace Use Agreement (SUA) WorkflowEvent Contract Workflow
Question #1 - Agreement? Yes Yes Yes
Question #2 - Agreement Type? General Signatory AgreementsSpace Use Agreements (Rent employee office space) Event Contract
Question #3 - Pay for Goods/Services? No No Yes

 Question #1: Does the agreement (contract) purport to create a binding legal or financial obligation upon the University? 

Yes - Requires an official university signature to be valid.
No - Does not require official University signature to be valid. If there is any doubt about whether a contract requires official University signature, contact the extension Office of Financial Services OFS - Resources - Financial Specialists & Managers Contact List

 Question #2: What type of agreement (contract) is it?

General Signatory Agreements

  • Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
  • Memorandum of Agreement (MOA)
  • Membership Agreement
  • Partnership Agreement
  • Internship Agreement
  • Consulting Agreement
  • Other Non-Purchasing Agreement

Space Use Agreements

Agreements that fall under UW System Leasing Policy 
  • Space Use Agreements
  • Facilities Rental Agreement
  • Facility Use Agreement
  • Interagency Space Use Agreement
  • Land Rental Agreement
  • Land Use Agreement

Event Contract

Requires University to pay money for either goods or services for an off-campus event.

  • Event facility rental or space use agreements
  • Zero-Cost Event Facilities Rental Agreement
  • Catering Contracts
  • Hotel Contracts
  • Speaker Contracts
  • Entertainer Contracts

Other Contract Falling under Signatories with Limited Delegation

 Question #3: Is it a contract under which the University is to pay money for either goods or services for an off-campus event, program, or activity?

Yes - This is an event contract and must be sent to Purchasing Services.
No - This is not an event contract.

Note: If you are unsure of which type of agreement you need signed (and which workflow to use), please contact

Agreements that do not require signature by UW-Madison

  • Contracts paid for by funds from external accounts (non UW-Madison).
  • Individual annual memberships to professional associations (e.g. WACAA, WEECDA, etc.).
  • FoodWIse letters of support to partners applying for grants if they do not obligate university resources, including employee time.

Keywords:GSA,Leasing,Space,Use,Agreement,Purchasing,Decision,Matrix   Doc ID:95623
Owner:Nathaniel S.Group:Extension Employee Handbook
Created:2019-11-07 11:39 CDTUpdated:2021-06-01 15:50 CDT
Sites:Extension Employee Handbook
Feedback:  1   0