Topics Map > Supervisor Toolkit > 2.1 Hiring > 2.1.4 Student Hourly Hire
Topics Map > Operational Support Resources > 4.7 Human Resources > 4.7.1 Hiring
Hiring - Student Hourly - Determine When Your Student Can Start Work
Student employees are not approved to begin working until Administrative Services Unit (ASU) Office of Human Resources (OHR) sends you an email notification that the student is cleared to start work. ASU OHR will not clear a student employee to begin work until they have attended New Employee Orientation and satisfied their I-9 requirements. ASU will also update the applicant's status to "HR Processing Complete" once the student has been cleared to start work.
- The student will need to accept the job offer, complete the required paperwork and onboarding requirements including I-9, and be cleared to work by ASU BEFORE they can begin employment and work their first shift.
- If your student hire requires a Criminal Background Check (CBC) this may delay the start date.
- Once the Administrative Services Unit (ASU) Office of Human Resources (OHR), receives the offer card for approval, ASU will contact the student employee with their job offer and next steps. Please allow up to two and a half weeks for HR system processing before the student can start work.
- Start dates are assigned by ASU and will coincide with when New Employee Orientations (NEO) slots are offered, which are held every other week after the start of a pay period on Mondays and Wednesdays (i.e. students can start on Tuesday or Thursday after completing NEO Training).
- ASU HR will send you an email notification and will update the applicant's status to "HR Processing Complete" once the student has been cleared to start work.
- If your student will need to drive a vehicle for business purposes they will need to complete UW-Madison's Vehicle Use Authorization. Work with them to complete these instructions.